In February 2013, First Lady Michelle Obama launched Let’s Move! Active Schools, an unprecedented collaboration to bring physical activity back to America’s schools. The Partnership for a Healthier America, President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America) and Alliance for a Healthier Generation serve as the managing organizations and guide development and implementation of the program.
What is Let’s Move! Active Schools?
Let’s Move! Active Schools is a physical activity and physical education solution to ensure 60 minutes of physical activity is the new norm for schools. An Active School incorporates physical activity before, during and after school for at least 60 minutes every day.
How does Let’s Move! Active Schools help schools?
Powered by a national collaboration of leading health, education and private sector organizations, Let’s Move! Active Schools streamlines the selection of programs, resources, professional development and funding opportunities, and delivers a customized action plan – making it simple for teachers and strategic for administrators. Ultimately, Let’s Move! Active Schools, part of the First Lady’s Let’s Move! initiative, helps schools develop a culture in which physical activity and physical education are foundational to academic success.
What does an Active School look like?
A school has crossed the finish line to become an Active School when the following five core elements are built into every student’s experience:
- Physical Education. Provide effective physical education that is fun and inclusive.
- Physical Activity During School. Create active classrooms. Include physical activity breaks in lessons.
- Physical Activity Before & After School. Offer students opportunities to begin and end their day with physical activity
- Staff Involvement. Emphasize physical activity as a priority for the whole staff.
- Family & Community Engagement. Connect with the community. Make your school the center for physical activity.
Learn more about Let’s Move! Active Schools click here.